Film x-rays or digital x-rays? Sherwood Dental chooses to use digital x-rays. Why? Because you and your dental health are our top priority.
Film x-rays were invented in 1895. That’s over 125 years ago. Technology has come a very long way since those first x-rays 125 years ago, and film x-rays are now quite antiquated.
Film x-ray technology costs less than digital x-ray technology. But long-term exposure to film x-rays can be harmful to a patient’s overall dental health due to the increased amounts of radiation needed to expose these types of films. Every doctor here at Sherwood Dental is working to reduce the adverse effects caused by film x-rays.
Let’s compare film x-rays, technically known as radiography, with digital x-rays without the scientific blah, blah, blah. (For the history and scientific blah, blah, blah, visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiography). Simply put, x-rays are nothing more than different shades of grey on a screen. That screen can be either analog or digital. It would be like comparing an old black and white TV to a new HD TV with all of its perfect picture quality and color. With digital x-rays, our doctors are able to see clearly what they could not see before. This means areas of concern can be detected much earlier before issues may arise.
- Use 70% less radiation than traditional film x-rays
- Take less time to take and are easier to take than traditional film x-rays
- Use streamlined designs taking the pain out of taking dental x-rays (No more razor-like edges cutting the inside of your mouth!)
- Have better quality viewing capabilities than traditional film x-rays
- Take the waiting out of the development process allowing us to see what is going on immediately
- Prevent issues from going undetected and/or missed
- Decrease your time in the chair
- Are easily stored on a computer
- Can be easily transferred to other dentists or orthodontists when referrals are needed
- Are less expensive and more environmentally-friendly
Good reasons to continue using traditional film x-rays remain, but Sherwood Dental chooses to use digital x-rays for their important advantages to you. We think 70% less radiation, less discomfort, detecting problems sooner, less time in the chair, access and distribution and cost matters a lot to our patients. Let us know what you think about digital x-rays in comparison to traditional film x-rays. We love to hear your feedback.
Sherwood Dental has been serving Sherwood Park for over 40 years. Call Sherwood Dental at (780) 464-4166 for your next dental appointment, and experience the benefits of digital x-rays.